Roadcheck 2012 Inspections – June 5-7th
Posted on 6/5/2012 8 by Dan Filby
Show All Categories,
Posted by Dan Filby, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Tax Consulting & Fleet Services
Roadcheck 2012, the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) vehicle safety and education annual campaign, is scheduled for June 5-7 this year.
According to the CVSA, “Roadcheck is the largest targeted enforcement program on commercial vehicles in the world, with approximately 14 trucks or buses being inspected, on average, every minute from Canada to Mexico during a 72-hour period in early June.” Around 10,000 CVSA-certified inspectors at over 1,500 locations are scheduled to undertake these inspections.
It is understood that investigators will focus on the North American Standard (NAS) Level I inspections, hours of service logbooks, CDL checks, medical examiner’s certificates and record of duty status. Brakes, tires, lights, major safety components of the truck or bus, and load securement are also scrutinized during the inspections.
The data from the CVSA Roadcheck 2011 inspections revealed “the overall vehicle compliance rate at 80.7 percent (80.0 percent in 2010), with an overall driver compliance rate of 95.8 percent, compared to 95.6 percent last year. For NAS Level I inspections, the compliance rates were up to 77.2 percent for vehicles (76.7 percent in 2010) and 96.3 percent for drivers (unchanged from 2010). In addition, there were 296 fewer safety belt violations in 2011 (863 vs. 1,159 in 2010).”
Of all inspections conducted in 2011, 96% of drivers passed with the remaining 4% placed on “Out-of-Service” (OOS). 81.7% of all vehicles passed inspection with 18.3% placed OOS compared with 20% from 2010. Overall, the vehicle OOS rates from Level I inspections were the second lowest on record for the Roadcheck program at 22.8%.
The CVSA has sponsored Roadcheck since 1988 and conducts it each year with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA), Transport Canada, and the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation (Mexico).
The above article is not offered as legal advice but is instead offered for informational purposes. First Advantage Corporation is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. The above article is therefore not intended as a substitute for the legal advice of an attorney knowledgeable of the user’s individual circumstances. First Advantage Corporation makes no assurances regarding the accuracy, completeness, currency or utility of the above information. Legislative, regulatory and case law developments regularly impact on general research.